OMG, I love good onion rings. Nothing rots me more than getting an onion ring at a diner and you feel you can ring them out before eating them. So I started backing them and avoiding that problem and well partly because we don’t own a fryer.
Taking a few onions, slicing them thick, seasoning with salt and pepper and dredging them in a little buttermilk mixture. Then you toss them in some panko bread crumbs and roast them in your oven for 10-15 minutes. Talk about a killer snack that your “peeps” will be fighting for. The crunch and flavor are really a hit with this little rings. I am a bit lame as I like to dip mine in ketchup, but feel free to dip these in whatever your heart desires.
- 1/2 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs ( dried)
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Low Fat Buttermilk
- 1 Medium Onion ( Vidalia, Spanish) Sliced and broken into rings
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Coarse Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 Degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, flour, cayenne, and pepper
- Dip onion rings into egg mixture ( letting excess drop off ) and dredge into panko mixture; place on a large platter
- Pour oil into rimmed baking sheet and heat in oven for 2 minutes
- Remove sheet from oven and tilt to coat evenly.
- Arrange rings onto sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes turning once or until rings are golden brown.
- Season with salt.