We have been hosting Thanksgiving for our family for almost a decade now. While it is definitely a lot of work, it is also one of our favorite holidays to host. We have family from both mine and Mike’s side of the family join us. There’s typically 30+ people, including kids. Mike and I spend days before cleaning and cooking and cooking some more lol. Even Lucas joins in to help and there’s usually holiday music playing in the background. It’s a lot of fun! Over the years, we have had some food hits and misses so today I thought it would be helpful to share five dishes (besides the turkey, of course) that always make it onto our Thanksgiving table.
1. Cheese Board: We used to make fancy appetizers for Thanksgiving, but we quickly learned that with all of the cooking you have to do for the main meal – the appetizers are a great opportunity to lessen your load and buy something pre-made. We always set out a cheese board complete with a variety of cheeses, hard salami and thin water crackers.
2. Sangria: Along with the appetizer, I like to prepare one large cocktail drink that everyone can enjoy during the evening. Our favorite? Sangria. It’s super simple to make. It’s festive. Everyone loves it!
3. Mashed Potatoes: I’ve tried to make all sorts of fancy variations of potatoes, but we always come back to the classic mashed potatoes. I like to infuse the milk with chopped garlic before mixing with the potatoes and I always add in sour cream and chives.
4. Homemade Rolls: If there is ever a time to make your own bread, it’s Thanksgiving. The aroma of homemade bread baking in the oven is instant comfort and your guests will love it!
5. Pecan Pie: I used to not like pecan pie because it was overly sweet. Since it was a classic, I would still typically make one every Thanksgiving. A few years ago though, I started tinkering around with the recipe and created my own WITHOUT corn syrup.