Toast is one of the simplest and most satisfying of breakfasts, but the classic bread-and-butter combo can get a little tired. Thankfully, toast makes a great canvas for a variety of sweet and savory toppings, including ricotta drizzled with honey, pesto scrambled eggs and spicy smashed avocado.
These 11 ideas will brighten your morning — and they take just slightly longer than that old bread-and-butter standby. Each recipe is built around one slice of bread but you can easily adjust the quantities depending on your hunger or how many people you’re feeding. We’ve made suggestions for which type of bread to use, but feel free to swap in your personal favorite or experiment with different options. While toasting tends to improve even the most lackluster loaves, it’s always best to start with fresh, high-quality bread.
1. Spicy avocado: Mash 1 ripe avocado. Add lemon juice and salt to taste and stir to combine. Spread on toasted whole grain bread and drizzle with Sriracha or other hot sauce.
2. Pumpkin cheesecake: Stir 3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin into 1 ounce of very soft cream cheese. Spread on toasted whole grain bread and drizzle with maple syrup.
3. Almond and apple: Spread almond butter on toasted whole grain bread. Top with several thin slices of apple.
4. Apricot and cheddar: Spread apricot jam on toasted sourdough bread. Top with several thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese.
5. Parmesan poached egg: Poach an egg and place it on top of toasted and buttered Italian bread. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan.
6. Cucumber and beet: Spread Greek yogurt on toasted pumpernickel bread. Top with several thin slices each of cooked, peeled beets and raw, peeled cucumber. Sprinkle with salt.
7. Ricotta and honey: Spread ricotta cheese on toasted whole grain bread. Drizzle with honey.
8. Jam and bacon: Spread your favorite jam on toasted rye bread. Top with several slices of crispy bacon.