How to Make A Website On WordPress [Easy Tutorial]
Want to start a website with WordPress? Here’s an easy tutorial for WordPress beginners to launch a website using WordPress without any prior experience. Just follow the steps mentioned in this article, and you will be starting your own WordPress blog or website.
How to create a self-hosted WordPress website
Before diving into the details, I want to clarify one thing. There’s a difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
WordPress.org blogs are self-hosted, they are often hosted on other web hosting services like Dreamhost, Bluehost, etc. You will have full control over your WordPress sites using self-hosted websites.
Generally, you can create websites for free using WordPress.com whereas in WordPress.org, you have to pay for web hosting and getting a domain name. In this guide, I am going to discuss about self-hosted WordPress sites. Are you ready?
Step 1: Get your domain name and web hosting first
First things first, you need a custom domain name and hosting service to start and run your WordPress websites. Most people either use free WordPress sites like WordPress.com or blogspot blogging platforms to create their websites. I strongly recommend NOT using these free services as you won’t have full control over your sites.
If you are really serious about making money blogging, you need to invest money first. Invest money on getting your custom domain name (which ends with .com, .net etc.) and buy a good web hosting provider to run your websites smoothly.
Here are a few tips on choosing a great domain name for your websites.
- Always prefer .com over any other extension like .net, .org, etc. (most people enter .com after entering your domain name).
- Make your domain name easy to remember and easy to type (don’t use hyphens or any buzz words that make them confuse).
- Make your website domain name meaningful (if you are running a fitness related blog, make it related to fitness, not sports. Make it extremely relevant)
- You don’t have to focus on the keywords on your domain name as Google rolls out different algorithms to stop such spam practicing.
- Come up with at least 5 to 10 domain name ideas (brainstorm, take your time and choose the best one among them).
- Use free tools like Domains Bot to check if there are any available domain name suggestions for you. It also helps you pick the expired and expiring domain names to make your domain search process easy.
On choosing the right web hosting provider for WordPress sites
The web host you use on your sites determines your site loading time and performance. So make sure to use the best one among hundreds of other web hosts. Never prefer a free or cheap web host, they only give a pain in the back and they often have frequent downtime issues.
Here are a few tips for selecting the best web host for your sites.
- Go for shared hosting as it is affordable and gives you unlimited bandwidth.
- Choose industry preferred hosting services like Bluehost, HostGator etc. as they are doing this business over a decade.
- Find out if they have a money back guarantee, most web hosts give a 30 days guarantee, if they are giving a lifetime money back guarantee, then don’t miss them out as you can ask for a refund anytime if you are not happy with them. BTW Bluehost offers a lifetime money back guarantee.
- Few web host providers give a free domain name for one year when you buy their hosting, prefer them over the others as you can save $10 on domain name purchasing.
- Make sure to read the overall customer rating of a web hosting provider that you are interested in.
- Don’t forget to get a web hosting that has a cPanel (control panel) where you can easily install WordPress using one click installs.
Step 2: Install WordPress
Once you have bought your domain name and web hosting by following the above advice, you can now install WordPress.
Most web hosting services provide 1 click install WordPress option. It means that, you can install WordPress on your sites with just a single click. So you don’t have to be a tech savvy to install WordPress.
There are lots of easy to access videos out there that can show you how to install WordPress on your selected web hosting. You just have to make sure your web hosting has a cPanel to install WordPress on your newly bought domain.
For example, if you have bought Bluehost as your web hosting, here’s how to install WordPress.
- Go to the MOJO market place inside cPanel.
- Click on “One Click Installs” icon
- Choose WordPress under Blogs section
- Click the Start button (a brand new install)
- Choose the domain name that you have bought (leave blank if you want your site’s main page to be the blog).
- Now click on the Install Now button to install WordPress.
Bang! You’ve successfully installed WordPress using Bluehost. The process of installing WordPress would be almost similar with other web hosts as well, such as HostGator, Dreamhost etc. (they provide 1 click installs too!).
Note: Once you’ve purchased web hosting, you can install it on a new domain name, or already existing one. You can even use the newly bought web hosting to migrate from blogger to WordPress or you can migrate from any other blogging platform to WordPress without any hassle.
Step 3: Get a premium theme
Step 3 is as essential as Step 1 and 2 but yet most WordPress beginners just skip this step or don’t give much importance.
Listen, a website design is the key to creating a great first impression. If you can’t give a better impression with your design, your site easily gets lost in this crowded online world. You have to be unique and stand out from the crowd to make your blog a success.
Immediately after installing WordPress on your sites, get a search engine friendly theme. Although WordPress provides thousands of free themes for its users, but I strongly recommend you to invest some money on getting a premium theme.
Please skim through this post once to know the importance of using a premium theme over free themes.
We have a dazzling collection of premium WordPress themes that make your site awesome, and all of them are affordable, mobile responsive and search friendly. So make sure to check our theme collection that suits your needs.
Please leave your questions in the comments, and I’d be glad to reply.